Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Open Houses (Part One)

On a slightly lighter note (politics has begun to interest me far too much), I want to write about the kinds of things that I see all around. I work as a technician for a pest control company in Arizona. There have been a few general categories I can place a family into, of which I will write. I have a more intimate view of a person's house than most will ever have, opening sink cabinents and going inside closets. From a large pool of homes, I begin to group people and look into their motivations.

There are the Keepers. They cannot get rid of anything, and seem to want to display everything. While not inherently messy, they leave sentinels from the past in every nook and cranny. They treasure the past.

There are the Droppers. Slippery fingers with everything they touch, this grouping is characterized by pointless objects, often past food items partially consumed, in perhaps its final resting place on the floors. I believe that for many of these, they have little interest in things above the trivial and the quick to satisfy.

There are the Animalers. In these abodes, the pets rules, often by sheer numbers. Their food is often littered on floors and around back patios. Charity seems to motivate them, yet I wonder that (in the extreme cases at least) charity may take over their lives. Cleanliness and sanity both leave more and more with each half dozen animals sheltered.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Definitely think I am the first type. I have way too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete